Monday, January 19, 2009

We shall overcome - yes we can.

I have to admit that I have never actually listened to Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech in its entirety. It seems fitting to do so today with inauguration festivities on mute in the background. This is our generation's civil rights movement, and I feel honored to be part of the work that still needs to be done.

"Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.

And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream.

It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.'"

As Dr. King advises, we cannot walk alone--nor can we look back. I know I can make a difference. Won't you join me?

Yes, we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment